Temporal lobe epilepsy and psychic phenomenon (2022)

Comments

Re: Temporal lobe epilepsy and psychic phenomenon

Submitted by Sausha on Tue, 2011-09-27 - 12:32

I wish you the best in your journey

Yes, I have this ability too. It is a gift and you should embrace it. I too have temperal lobe epilepsy but I've never had surgery. They are well controlled by lamictal and I still have the gift. Yes, some people are weary of it because people fear what they don't understand. Don't let that hold you back from being who you want to be and living your life to the fullest.As far as epilepsy being a gift? Honestly I don't see it as a curse. It made me appriciate life more, even tho I felt I always did. I've only had epilepsy since I was 31...too many head injuries.I wish you the best in your journey

I wish you the best in your journey

Re: Temporal lobe epilepsy and psychic phenomenon

Submitted by angelacarwile on Thu, 2011-09-29 - 10:29

I feel exactly the same way:)

I feel exactly the same way:)

I feel exactly the same way:)

Re: Temporal lobe epilepsy and psychic phenomenon

Submitted by speranza82 on Tue, 2011-09-27 - 13:22

Please don't feel alone.

As for your gift I couldn't comment. I'm a religious person and wouldn't be shocked by someone having your abilities.As for the fear of losing a talent when on meds I can comment. I also have TLE and I'm a writer. I also feared losing my ability to write once my meds were adjusted correctly. And there were times I wondered if the meds (tegretol) were stifling the creative process. But after being on it for so long now (about 15 years) and still coming up with story ideas, I have to saythat ourtalentscome from ourselves and whatever Higher Power is out there then just from a few scars on our brains.Please don't feel alone."The secret of man's being is not only to live but to have something to live for." ~ Fyodor Dostoyevsky

(Video) Epilepsy and spiritual experiences: what is the relationship?

Please don't feel alone.

Re: Temporal lobe epilepsy and psychic phenomenon

Submitted by momashleigh on Tue, 2011-09-27 - 15:15

Thank you so very much for your sharing and words of support.

I know deep down that the essence of me is unchanged, meds or not.

Your comments reinforce that.

Higher power, Indeed!

To richness and living fully!

Thank you so very much for your sharing and words of support.I know deep down that the essence of me is unchanged, meds or not.Your comments reinforce that.I am 30 and only started having seizures at 27. I appreciate life in a way I never did before. I have gratitude everyday for the most 'ordinary' things. I experience miracles everyday, in the flight of a bird or the smile of a stranger, and i understand that all of this fits with my life's purpose.Higher power, Indeed!To richness and living fully!

Thank you so very much for your sharing and words of support.

I know deep down that the essence of me is unchanged, meds or not.

Your comments reinforce that.

Higher power, Indeed!

To richness and living fully!

Re: Temporal lobe epilepsy and psychic phenomenon

Submitted by peterochs on Sat, 2011-10-01 - 14:11

I have had events like these take place too. I was diagnosed at age 38 after tonic-clonic seizures. I have had events take place, "visions" etc. where it seems time repeats, or that time loses its process, and wherein I can't recall if events take place now, in the past or future. And the strange thing, is that this has happened before where events would take place in the future, or I would be able to sense things that have an unknown relevance. For instance, sensing something profound about things that would have ordinarily little significance, which turn out to have profound significance in the future.I had been skeptical of "fortune telling" and things prior to these things happening, and I try to still convince myself there is no relevance, or these things are just chance, but they occur and then stay in my head, unable to be driven away through logic.At times it's as though events from past seizures that were blacked out will come back into my conscious thoughts at the present time, and have a sort or perfect relevance with events as they occurred. At other times it's recollection of things I do recall happening at times, that later have some profound relevance. Intuition, premonition, whatever it's called.comforting and unsettling at once

Re: Temporal lobe epilepsy and psychic phenomenon

Submitted by tonialpha on Sat, 2011-10-01 - 21:43

Sometimes after seizure activity I feel like the fog has been lifted. I have sudden energy where before I was having trouble understanding people or processing what they were saying. I will have the energy to run and do physical activity. I feel great after the seizure my memory is crisp and my recall is fantastic! The memorizing of words off pages comes back!Premonitions has occured to be when I was in my 20's and 30's now I am not totally aware of them. My seizures are better but I have had a VNS implanted and I noticed a minor change in my body, which may have nothing to do with it. I am on Keppra XR and Zonegran. I also have had 2 brain surgeries too,I have learned it is an opportunity! Challenging but as the teacher would say "life is a festival!"

(Video) Medial Temporal Lobe Epilepsy: Evaluation

My husband is undiagnosed but

Submitted by kavaughan on Sun, 2017-05-28 - 09:41

My husband is undiagnosed but we believe he has temporal lobe and tonic clonic seizures. Before we realized he was having seizures I thought he just had shamanic abilities maybe due to past traumas. He told me we were going to have our daughter, told me things from my past he couldn't have known, he's told me we are going to have 2 sons and I believe everything he says. I have much respect for anyone who is gifted these abilities. Even though having seizures can seem like such a curse, I think by the law of duality you are given something so great and wonderful along with the pain. Find ways to use your ability for a greater good, help people.

What's crazy is I had tle for

Submitted by DENNIS JR. on Thu, 2017-06-08 - 21:50

What's crazy is I had tle for about 8yrs now, and I could never explain it, like auras always felt like some sought of experience that was outter body or me seeing the future, this is b4 i learned that auras are seizures, but yea I thought I was the only one.. I'm glad i found this forum and was able to read your post.. I don't know what the connection is between tle and feeling psychic but it's a connection there... Somewhere.

Hi, I get feelings and often

Submitted by Emma81 on Thu, 2017-09-21 - 06:34

Hi, I get feelings and often visions along with my seizures, I have to be honest and say I believed when people say I'm crazy or quirky, but lately they are more frequent and stronger. My GP just wants me to take antidepressants, how can I explain these episodes have actually helped save lives, my mom, my son and my sister ( so long as she heeds my advice ). I am so confused as I feel they are real but then I can understand why GPs think I'm losing the plot. How can I tell which I am?

Hi, I get feelings and often

Submitted by Emma81 on Thu, 2017-09-21 - 06:37

(Video) TRIGGERS OF SEIZURES

Smells and hearing voices are

Submitted by Emma81 on Thu, 2017-09-21 - 06:37

Smells and hearing voices are more common than people think. Also dejavu as they call it although very intensely to the point you can know what's going to happen before it does and even what exact words someone is about to speak. I've never had a buzz in my ear but we are all unique in how it affects us

You are not alone. you can

Submitted by Sillan on Thu, 2017-09-21 - 12:03

You are not alone. you can come talk to me on Facebook. I have been gifted all my life. but was recently dx with Epilepsy in May. The seizure meds seem to have intensified my abilities...lol. I am scared the Lobectomy will hurt them though. ( Silver Landin )

I understand and experience

Submitted by Fiberping on Wed, 2017-11-29 - 10:22

I understand and experience the same. From my own experience, no, these moments will not go away after you have full control over your seizures. Really it's unfortunate that we really can't talk about things like that without a crazy label. I've found family members that experience the same as well. Maybe there's a science to it or maybe it's something more like perception, but it does exist obviously with so many having similar moments.

It didn't take long for

Submitted by Dayna_5bde2f381059c on Sat, 2018-11-03 - 19:56

It didn't take long for people to trust me. We can't drive home now we need to wait 10 min a car pile up will happen on the bridge . So we leave and we pull up to the crash before the ambulance gets there. The boat moter is going to fall off and it will mess up our whole day. No it won't ! Yes it will ! So how did you enjoy rowing all day and our sunburns ? It plays like a movie in front of my eyes. When I got older in my 40's dead people started contacting me telling me to call people I haven't talked to in years. Hi how are you sorry I haven't kept in touch but Todd came to me and told me to call you. Are you kidding me ? He died last week ! I have PTSD frontal lobe and side lobes damaged with my hearing prossesing center knocked out. I spike to fast and to slow and cross hemispheres. With a purple looking doughnut on top of my head. They called that my ADHD. I believe it's my crown purple chakra of enlightenment. At least in some cultures it's considered to be. I believe my injury unlocked what they call our junk DNA to help me prevent danger now. I'd never tell my Dr all this but thank you all for sharing your story. I feel kinda blessed with this and maybe it was worth the injury. It's left me on disability and a odd ball but that's ok.

(Video) Psychogenic Seizures — What are They, How Can They be Diagnosed and Treated?

It didn't take long for

Submitted by Dayna_5bde2f381059c on Sat, 2018-11-03 - 20:29

I'd like to note also that my

Submitted by Dayna_5bde2f381059c on Sat, 2018-11-03 - 20:29

I'd like to note also that my mom and my sister See's ghosts but they don't have the other gifts. So I think it's part genetics like others have said. I think it's frequency vibrational energy and our brains are matching a frequency that opens us up to other demential place. Like how plants communicate how they react to music how everything reacts to frequency.

What medications is she

Submitted by Sunnya41 on Wed, 2019-04-03 - 08:26

What medications is she currently on? Has cannabis been used to attempt to provide relief?

Hi, I am new here. My child

Submitted by MamaB on Fri, 2019-04-12 - 10:05

Hi, I am new here. My child is in the psych ward right now...going on week 6. She has a family he of bipolar, but had an incident where she snapped at age 3. They are changing her meds because she has been delusional about being Pregnant with multiple babies from a fairy she believes is real. When I saw her yesterday, she complained of smelling an obnoxious odor multiple times and in multiple places. She also told me she hears music like on a radio all the time. She does have very serious anger and impulsivity, etc, but she also believes in other dimensions and gods, etc. I am hoping to rule out temporal lobe seizures (oh, she also told me about dreaming a place we visited before we visited it when she was five ...& I have a long history of such things, and two visions...one of Mary and one of Jesus....no seizures on my part as far as I know, just fibromyalgia). Just wondering if you have any advice or thoughts about fairies or how to get seizures diagnosed.

(Video) Epilepsy II Focal Seizure Types

FAQs

What are psychic symptoms of epilepsy? ›

A psychic seizure causes an individual to experience:
  • sudden emotional changes, such as feelings of fear or anxiety.
  • déjà vu.
  • memory flashbacks.
  • dream-like events.
  • agitations.
  • uncontrolled outbursts of laughing or crying.

What is the most common cause of temporal lobe epilepsy? ›

Often, the cause of temporal lobe seizures remains unknown. However, they can be a result of a number of factors, including: Traumatic brain injury. Infections, such as encephalitis or meningitis, or a history of such infections.

Can temporal lobe epilepsy cause changes in personality? ›

Abstract. A deepening of emotionality with a serious, highly ethical, and spiritual demeanor has been described by clinicians as a positive personality change among patients with chronic mesial temporal lobe epilepsy.

What does temporal lobe epilepsy look like on an MRI? ›

Primary MRI findings of temporal lobe epilepsy are hippocampal atrophy, hyperintensity, and loss of internal architecture. Patients with these findings have a 70% to 90% chance of relief from seizures after temporal lobectomy (Figure 2).

What is temporal epilepsy? ›

Temporal lobe epilepsy (TLE) is epilepsy that starts in the temporal lobe area of your brain. You have two temporal lobes, one on each side of your head behind your temples (by your ears and in alignment with your eyes). TLE is the most common localized (also called “focal”) type of epilepsy.

How do you stop a seizure aura? ›

There's no way to stop an aura from happening, but many people are able to identify triggers to seizure activity, like: stress. sleep deprivation. depression.
...
Prodrome vs. aura
  1. relaxation.
  2. sleep.
  3. medications.
  4. avoiding alcohol or other triggers.
  5. positive thinking.
  6. deep breathing.

What medication is used for temporal lobe epilepsy? ›

Tiagabine (Gabitril) Topiramate (Topamax) Valproic acid (Depakene) Vigabatrin (Sabril)

Is temporal lobe epilepsy a mental illness? ›

Temporal lobe epilepsy (TLE), a subset of the seizure disorder family, represents a complex neuropsychiatric illness, where the neurological presentation may be complemented by varying severity of affective, behavioral, psychotic, or personality abnormalities, which, in turn, may not only lead to misdiagnosis, but also ...

Can stress trigger temporal lobe seizures? ›

The seizure focus responds to normal input with an abnormally large discharge that causes seizures. The most frequent trigger for TLE is psychological stress.

Does temporal lobe epilepsy cause anger issues? ›

Aggressive and violent behaviors have also been associated with epilepsy, especially temporal or frontal lobe seizures. However, this behavior is rare in the ictal state. Aggressive ictal behavior is generally believed to not be goal directed.

What does temporal lobe epilepsy feel like? ›

A sudden sense of unprovoked fear or joy. A deja vu experience — a feeling that what's happening has happened before. A sudden or strange odor or taste. A rising sensation in the abdomen, similar to being on a roller coaster.

Does temporal lobe epilepsy lead to dementia? ›

In this form of epilepsy, a high frequency of focal seizures gradually damages the hippocampal region of temporal lobe, leading to a significant memory loss. Synapse damage and synaptic protein loss are strongly related to the severity of dementia.

Can you drive if you have temporal lobe epilepsy? ›

Driver Information By State

The most common requirement for people with epilepsy is that they be seizure free for a specific period of time and submit a physician's evaluation of their ability to drive safely.

Is temporal lobe epilepsy progressive? ›

Temporal lobe epilepsy (TLE) can be a progressive disorder, potentially resulting in structural damage and a decline of cognitive abilities over time. This is particularly evident in cases that are refractory to medication.

What does the temporal lobe do in the brain? ›

The temporal lobes are also believed to play an important role in processing affect/emotions, language, and certain aspects of visual perception. The dominant temporal lobe, which is the left side in most people, is involved in understanding language and learning and remembering verbal information.

What type of epilepsy is temporal lobe? ›

Temporal lobe epilepsy is the most common form of focal epilepsy. About 6 out of 10 people with focal epilepsy have temporal lobe epilepsy. Seizures in TLE start or involve in one or both temporal lobes in the brain.

How does temporal lobe epilepsy develop? ›

Infections, brain injury, a tumor, genetic mutations, or changes in brain structure all can cause temporal lobe epilepsy. Babies who have a febrile seizure (caused by a high fever) that lasts for 15 minutes or longer have a higher risk for developing the condition later on.

Can MRI show temporal lobe seizures? ›

MRI can help confirm temporal lobe epilepsy, however many healthy people also show abnormalities that are believed to be associated with the disorder, according to researchers at Graecia University in Catanzaro, Italy.

Do auras show up on EEG? ›

Our study showed that EEGs of patients with visual auras had abnormal discharges not only in the occipital lobe but also in the frontal and parietal lobes. This confirmed the findings from previous studies, which suggested that visual auras were suggestive of ictal onset from the occipital or temporal lobe.

How long do epileptic auras last? ›

You can have an aura from several seconds until about an hour before a seizure happens. Most auras last from a few seconds to as long as a minute or two. It may just end with the aura, or from there it may lead into a seizure. If you get auras, you can take steps to protect yourself if you know a seizure is on the way.

Does an aura count as a seizure? ›

Some patients have an unusual sensation or feeling, known as an aura, that alerts them to an upcoming seizure before it happens. The aura is actually a simple focal seizure, also known as a partial seizure. These types of seizures only affect a small part of the brain and only occur in one side of the brain.

What diet is best for seizures? ›

The "classic" ketogenic diet is a special high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet that helps to control seizures in some people with epilepsy. It is prescribed by a physician and carefully monitored by a dietitian. It is usually used in children with seizures that do not respond to medications.

Which tablet is best for epilepsy? ›

Many medications are used in the treatment of epilepsy and seizures, including:
  • Carbamazepine (Carbatrol, Tegretol, others)
  • Phenytoin (Dilantin, Phenytek)
  • Valproic acid (Depakene)
  • Oxcarbazepine (Oxtellar, Trileptal)
  • Lamotrigine (Lamictal)
  • Gabapentin (Gralise, Neurontin)
  • Topiramate (Topamax)
  • Phenobarbital.
24 Feb 2021

Can temporal lobe epilepsy cause hallucinations? ›

In most recent studies, complex visual hallucinations are mainly localized to the temporal lobe, likely involving anteromedial limbic structures [1]. The majority of cases in the literature describing complex hallucinations in epilepsy involve patients with corresponding brain lesions on neuroimaging [1].

What mental disorders affect the temporal lobe? ›

Temporal lobe epilepsy is mainly presenting with acute psychosis symptoms, especially olfactory hallucinations, anxiety, and aggressive behavior [14]. The interictal psychotic syndromes, often resembling schizophrenia, develop in some patients with schizophrenia [15].

Does epilepsy affect IQ? ›

Our study indicates that as a group, children with symptomatic epilepsy have lower IQs when tested within two weeks of their first seizure. The lower mean IQ scores of symptomatic epileptic populations are probably caused by preexist- ing deficits rather than by either clinical seizures or drug therapy.

Does epilepsy get worse with age? ›

The incidence of any type of seizure increases substantially over the age of 60, commonly due to other neurological conditions such as dementia or stroke.

Can the temporal lobe repair itself? ›

While temporal lobe damage cannot be reversed, functions affected by the damage can be reorganized and relearned by healthy regions of the brain. The brain possesses a dynamic ability to heal itself and allow undamaged portions of the brain to take over control of damaged functions called neuroplasticity.

What are psychological seizures? ›

PNES are attacks that may look like epileptic seizures but are not epileptic and instead are cause by psychological factors. Sometimes a specific traumatic event can be identified. PNES are sometimes referred to as psychogenic events, psychological events, or nonepileptic seizures (NES).

How can I help my temporal lobe? ›

Listen to Healing Music

Music, from country to jazz, from rock to classical, is one of the true joys of life. Music has healing properties. Listening to it can activate and stimulate the temporal lobes and bring peace or excitement to your mind. Music therapy has been a part of psychiatric treatment for decades.

Can epilepsy change your personality? ›

Many people with epilepsy experience disagreeable changes in their emotions, and the link between mood disorders and epilepsy has been observed for more than 2,000 years. While this link has been noticed for many years, the relationship between seizures and mood disorders has not been well understood until recently.

Does epilepsy lead to dementia? ›

People with epilepsy develop Alzheimer's disease at a rate 6 times higher than the non-epileptic population, and seizures can damage the memory centers of the brain and contribute to dementia.

Does epilepsy affect memory? ›

The epilepsy may cause difficulties with being able to store memories. Research has shown that people with epilepsy are prone to forget things more quickly than others.

What smells can trigger seizures? ›

Internal use of EOs like sage, hyssop, rosemary, camphor, pennyroyal, eucalyptus, cedar, thuja, and fennel can cause epileptic seizures because they contain thujone, 1,8-cineole, camphor, or pinocamphone, which have been identified as convulsive agents.

How is temporal epilepsy diagnosed? ›

TLE is diagnosed by a history of characteristic partial seizure symptoms. The diagnosis is confirmed by the capture of a typical episode during an electroencephalogram (EEG) or video-EEG, with epileptiform activity over one or both temporal regions.

How do you deal with a temporal lobe seizure? ›

Treatment
  1. Medications. Many medications are available to treat temporal lobe seizures. ...
  2. Surgical or other procedures. Vagus nerve stimulation. ...
  3. Pregnancy and seizures. ...
  4. Contraception and anti-seizure medications. ...
  5. Personal safety. ...
  6. Seizure first aid. ...
  7. At home. ...
  8. At work.
24 Feb 2021

Can I drive if diagnosed with epilepsy? ›

In the U.S., 700,000 licensed drivers have epilepsy. If you have it, taking the wheel means balancing the need for independence against the need for safety. All states allow people with epilepsy to drive.

What would happen if your temporal lobe was damaged? ›

Right temporal damage can cause a loss of inhibition of talking. The temporal lobes are highly associated with memory skills. Left temporal lesions result in impaired memory for verbal material. Right side lesions result in recall of non-verbal material, such as music and drawings.

What does a seizure feel like in your head? ›

You're not likely to lose consciousness, but you might feel sweaty or nauseated. Complex focal seizures: These usually happen in the part of your brain that controls emotion and memory. You may lose consciousness but still look like you're awake, or you may do things like gag, smack your lips, laugh, or cry.

Can epileptics drink coffee? ›

Caffeine can increase seizure susceptibility and protect from seizures, depending on the dose, administration type (chronic or acute), and the developmental stage at which caffeine exposure started. In animal studies, caffeine decreased the antiepileptic potency of some drugs; this effect was strongest in topiramate.

Can you get on disability for epilepsy? ›

The Social Security Administration considers epilepsy to be a qualifying condition for disability benefits. This means that if you've been diagnosed with epilepsy and are unable to work for an extended period of time, you have a high chance of being granted benefits.

How long can a seizure last before brain damage? ›

A seizure that lasts longer than 5 minutes, or having more than 1 seizure within a 5 minutes period, without returning to a normal level of consciousness between episodes is called status epilepticus. This is a medical emergency that may lead to permanent brain damage or death.

Does TLE affect memory? ›

Seventy percent of TLE patients have memory dysfunction, which has been documented to be related to hippocampal sclerosis (Ozkara et al., 2004; Helmstaedter and Kockelmann, 2006; Postma et al., 2020), seizure frequency and duration (Aldenkamp and Arends, 2004; Elger et al., 2004; Black et al., 2010), interictal ...

What causes temporal lobe lesions? ›

The most common cause of temporal lobe lesions is a CVE. Space-occupying lesions may be primary brain tumours - benign (such as meningioma) or malignant. They may also be secondary tumours or metastatic carcinoma, most often from lung cancer or breast cancer.

Is déjà vu a mini seizure? ›

Historically, déjà vu has been linked to seizure activity in temporal lobe epilepsy, and clinical reports suggest that many patients experience the phenomenon as a manifestation of simple partial seizures.

What are three functions of the temporal lobe? ›

The function of the temporal lobe centers around auditory stimuli, memory, and emotion.

Can you live without temporal lobe? ›

Can You Live Without a Temporal Lobe? Theoretically speaking, you can live without your temporal lobe, but it will in most cases cause a disruption in your daily life. There is a type of surgery called a lobectomy, in which a part of a person's temporal lobe is removed.

What sense does the temporal lobe interpret? ›

The temporal lobe contains the primary auditory cortex, which receives auditory information from the ears and secondary areas, and processes the information so we understand what we're hearing (e.g. words, laughing, a baby crying).

What are autonomic seizures? ›

Autonomic seizure — “an epileptic seizure characterized by altered autonomic function of any type at seizure onset or in which manifestations consistent with altered autonomic function are prominent (qualitatively dominant or clinically important) even if not present at seizure onset.”

What are focal seizures? ›

Focal seizures, also called focal seizures, begin in one area of the brain, but can become generalized and spread to other areas. For seizures of all kinds, the most common treatment is medication. The doctor may also recommend diet therapy, nerve stimulation or surgery, depending on the seizures' characteristics.

What are complex partial seizures? ›

Complex partial seizures (CPS) are the most common type of epilepsy in adults. These seizures can last between 30 seconds and 2 minutes. People having this type of seizure may appear to be daydreaming or staring blankly. They may not be aware of their surroundings.

What is status epilepticus? ›

Do autonomic seizures show up on EEG? ›

Autonomic changes are considered to be attractive parameters for seizure detection as the autonomic alterations can precede ictal EEG discharges by several seconds.

What is autoimmune epilepsy? ›

Autoimmune epilepsy is a group of epilepsies mediated by all kinds of autoimmune reactions. 1. Most cases of autoimmune epilepsy consist of autoimmune limbic encephalitis, with inflammation of the limbic area causing seizure, memory loss, unconsciousness, and psychiatric symptoms.

How does epilepsy affect the autonomic nervous system? ›

Effects of epileptic discharge on the autonomic nervous system are mediated through the cortical, limbic, and hypothalamic systems. Some significant consequences of altered autonomic function include convulsive apnea, abnormal sexual function, and potentially fatal effects on the cardiovascular system.

What does temporal lobe epilepsy feel like? ›

What smells can trigger seizures? ›

What is the best medication for partial seizures? ›

Carbamazepine (Carbatrol, Tegretol, Tegretol XR, Epitol, Equetro) Carbamazepine is effective for treatment of complex partial seizures.

Does temporal lobe epilepsy go away? ›

Seizures may also go away in some children with TLE. A good outcome is most often seen in people with normal MRI scans. If the MRI is abnormal, there is a much higher risk that seizures will not respond to medicines (called drug-resistant epilepsy or DRE).

Can you talk during a complex partial seizure? ›

With a complex partial seizure, the surge happens only on one side and in a specific area. It's called “partial” because only one part of your brain is affected. During this type of seizure, you may not be able to control your movements or talk.

What does an epileptic cry sound like? ›

The person will usually emit a short, loud cry as the muscles in the chest contract and the air rushes between the vocal cods, making a sound. This cry does not indicate pain. The muscles will stiffen (tonic phase), causing him/her to fall to the floor.

Do epileptics have visions? ›

In fact, hallucinations were actually a common symptom of epilepsy. Not only that—some people even enjoyed their seizures, describing them as spiritual or religious experiences.

What kind of brain damage do seizures cause? ›

Seizures, particularly repetitive seizures, cause substantial brain damage in highly susceptible areas, such as parts of the hippocampus, entorhinal cortex, amygdala, thalamus and other limbic structures; however, neuronal death after seizures can be more widespread and is generally quite variable (e.g., [24, 77]).

Videos

1. Temporal-lobe epilepsy - Medical Meaning and Pronunciation
(Medical Dictionary)
2. Epilepsy: The Sacred Disease
(University of California Television (UCTV))
3. FOCAL EPILEPSY OR PARTIAL EPILEPSY
(DR JANAK J PATEL MD 2020 MEDICINE 4 ALL)
4. CANINE EPILEPSY: FROM CLINICAL SIGNS TO TREATMENT
(Vets & Clinics by ADVANCE)
5. Seizures, Epilepsy Podcast
(Rutgers RWJMS Neurology)
6. Epilepsy Classification & Treatment Options 12/20/17
(Mary Greeley Medical Center)

Top Articles